Thursday, July 11, 2013

Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover

Though let's face it- good cover art is what draws us to a book in the first place. When I browse the shelves, there are so many books that it would be physically impossible for me to check them all out. So instead I walk through the aisles and let certain covers pop out at me. I may be interested or I may not, but it all starts with that first glance.

It just goes to show the importance of a good book cover. In some cases, it alone may be someone's reason for buying/borrowing the book- regardless of whether they are even interested in the story.

I have no idea what draws me to certain covers. All I know is some grab my attention and some don't. I'm not sure there even is a logical reason. Is it a little sad if I get a little down when I find a book with an amazing cover, but a blurb that doesn't even begin to interest me? It's almost painful for me to put it back on the shelf. You wouldn't be interested, my mind tells me. But it's so pretty, it argues back. So I stand there like a creeper, staring at this one book, having an internal debate, until I can convince myself to put it back. Then repeat the process. I never denied that I have a problem. I call it an addiction for a reason.

How do you browse the thousands of titles at your local bookstore/library? Do you get distracted by the pretty or keep your cool? And admit it, have you ever bought a book just for the cover? In the end, we may not judge a book by its cover, but it's probably the reason we check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment